Top 100 Forums

Caillea's Top 100 Discussion Forums
Survivor Island Smileys
[Open]
The Forum Family Image HostOur Tube-The Family of Forums Video Host
TV Fanatics...Survivor 21/22
April 18, 2024, 02:18:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reality T.V.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Who Is Your Favorite Game Show Host?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Is Your Favorite Game Show Host?  (Read 1556 times)
outafocus

your nice: 15

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:47:48 am »

Mine is DEFINITELY Bud Collyer.  He hosted "Beat The Clock, and "To Tell The Truth" for many years.  He was a class act.  He was the voice of Superman on radio.  His wife, June Collyer was the brother of early TV star Stu Erwin.  Bud wrote a nice book titled "Thou Shalt Not Fear".  It is one of the most prized additions in my library.  He was a deeply religious man, and when sending the contestants off on "TTTT", he would say "Goodnight, good luck, and God bless you".

There are so many wonderful hosts.  Who is your favorite, and why?  Is there any you just couldn't stand?  List them here too!
Report Spam   Logged

Let's get this show on the road!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

outafocus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 07:08:14 pm »

Another host I really liked was Allen Ludden of "Password" and "GE College Bowl".  He seemed like a genuinely nice man.  It was obvious that he loved his wife, Betty White very much.  He would always say or mouth "Hi Doll" when he made his entrance on "Password".

Thee are few class acts around today.
Report Spam   Logged

Coffeenole
Coffeenole.com

your nice: 65535

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:13:34 pm »

I have to agree with Bud Collyer being a favorite. He treated his panel and guests on TTTT with the utmost respect. My other all-time favorites were Bill Cullen, Gene Rayburn, and Dennis James (especially on The Price is Right). It was a special treat for me when Dennis James would sub for Bob Barker on the the daytime TPIR.

Report Spam   Logged

outafocus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:26:23 pm »

I liked Dennis James, too.  I have been watching "The Name's The Same" late night on GSN, and after Robert Q Lewis left, Dennis James took over.  He was a very good emcee on that show too.  He lasted less than a year though, and was replaced by Bob & Ray.  They were AWFUL!.  They were quickly replaced by Clifton Fadiman for the rest of the show's run.

Dennis James also stood in for Monty Hall on "Let's Make A Deal".

I liked Monty Hall very much, too.
Report Spam   Logged

Coffeenole
Coffeenole.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:34:10 pm »

ROBERT Q. LEWIS! That was another great one! I have a clip of a show that he hosted that I need to upload.

We don't have Game Show Network anymore in Jacksonville; I'd like to see some of those classic shows again. There's a clip of Monty Hall on the Dumont Network thread.
Report Spam   Logged

outafocus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:50:44 pm »

Robert Q Lewis was VERY busy in the early to mid 50s.  He took over for  Merv Griffin on "Play Your Hunch".  He was a frequent panelist on What's My Line, and To Tell The Truth.

I have an old "Emergency" show from the mid 70s.  Robert Q Lewis was a guest star in it.  He looked pretty bad by then.  He played a guy that rode a skateboard into a cactus bed!
Report Spam   Logged

outafocus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 08:03:37 pm »

Another favorite game show host was Herb Shriner.  He hosted "Two For The Money"  It was more of an outlet for Herb's humor than a game show, but the game, and Herb's act were really great.

Herb Shriner was a proud Hoosier from Indiana, and he met his demise in one of Indiana's finest vehicles, a 1964 Studebaker Avanti!  His wife was also killed in the accident.

He had twin sons, Wil, and Kin Shriner.  Wil Shriner is a comedian/producer, and Kin Shriner is an actor, best known as Scotty Baldwin on "General Hospital"!
Report Spam   Logged

Coffeenole
Coffeenole.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 08:23:04 pm »

I'm re-uploading the Monty Hall (and Honeymooners) to one of our own sites; they were originally uploaded to a 3rd party that's not working anymore.

I also enjoyed John Charles Daly on What's My Line!
Report Spam   Logged

Princess Buttercup
Administrator

your nice: 10013

Celine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 06:59:15 am »

as you know i spent my youth in the 60's in the UK and we did not have many of the TV shows you did so I have no clue who many of the people you talk about are
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Double-clicking any word will give you the Webster's Online Dictionary definition.

Top 100 Forums

Caillea's Top 100 Discussion Forums

The Survivor Island Railroad (Affliliates)
Go UP

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum